We’re looking for an enthusiastic Software / Data Engineer comfortable working with a variety of technologies to ingest, clean and utilise data from different sources. This role requires someone with diverse skills, not an expert in all listed technologies but comfortable using all of them (and beyond).
You will be designing and implementing data pipelines to process incoming data, focusing on keeping it consistent and accurate. You would regularly review and make changes to our data warehouse to improve query performance. A significant part of this role is understanding our data schema/structure, and helping others to write queries to get desired results. You would work with the team on defining and enforcing data governance processes as well as advocating new technologies to simplify and optimize data operations.
To Qualify You Must
- Have strong SQL (with Redshift an advantage)
- Have experience using Python and knowing when to use it
- Have worked closely with Amazon Web Services
- Have a willingness to own your own DevOps and business-IT responsibilities
- Be comfortable working directly with customers
- Be eligible to work in the UK
- Knowledge of COTS and Open Source ETL automation tooling
- Awareness of dynamic schema-on-load querying tools (e.g. AWS Redshift Spectrum, etc)
- Experience with dashboarding products (both self-service and embedded)
- Experience with security and data protection principles
What We’re Definitely Looking For In You
- A proactive and self-starting quick learner
- A never wavering positive “solution focused” attitude
- Pragmatism over purism (right-sizing effort, 80/20 rule, buy vs build)
- Multi-disciplinary thinking (strategic vs tactical, economics, operational overhead, tech debt)
- Intellectual curiosity beyond your technical comfort zone
- A passion for documentation and a willingness to share your knowledge and help others
- Understanding software development lifecycle, tools, and agile methodologies
- Excellent communication skills
If you’re interested, please apply with a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org along with examples of relevant projects you’ve worked on, and (most importantly) tell us why you want to join us and why you would be a good fit.
The interview process will involve a telephone interview to talk about the role and your experience which would lead to a potential practical test and a face-to-face interview.